Projects and Collaborations
I have been engaged in more than 15 research projects, working with industry, academia, and government partners from Ireland, UK, Denmark, France, Germany, Canada, Australia and the United States. I have secured long and short-term independent research grants (1-3 years) for a total of over € 220,000.
My research has generated more than 40 publications that are widely cited, and also significant industry impact. My work on innovative mineral coating on Al alloys in collaboration with, for example, Siemens and Danish Technology Institute, has been applied on windmills in the North Sea.
 Project: Exploring the critical metal potential of the Irish-type Zn-Pb mines (PI, ongoing, 2019-, funded by Geological Survey of Ireland, €149,830
Mentor: Prof. Murray Hitzman, Collaborators: Assist. Prof. Seán McClenaghan, Dr Steven Hollis, John Guven, University College Dublin, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, and Dr Max Frenzel, Helmholtz Institute Freiberg for Resource Technology, Germany
- 1 conference abstracts (Goldschmidt 2020),
- 1 Special Issue (in book edition, Minerals),
- 2 international conference session proposals (Goldschmidt 2020, 2021)
- 2 successful grant applications (Royal Society Ireland Charlemont Grant and UCD seed funding)
- 2 first-authored manuscripts in prep.
 Project: Characterise Energy Critical Metals in the Irish type Zn-Pb ores (PI, ongoing, 2020-2021, Royal Irish Academy, €2,238)
Collaborator: Sören Henning, Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR), Germany
Output: Due to the pandemic, the labs at BGR are strictly restricted to run at a minimal capacity. My visits to the BGR and relevant output are therefore delayed.
 Project: Reconstruct the fluid evolution history of the Qingchengzi Pb-Zn-Au-Ag Orefield, NE China (ongoing, 2019-)
Collaborators: Dr Xiaoxia Duan, Hefei Technology University, China; Assoc. Professor Thomas Ulrich, Aarhus University, Denmark
- 3 co-authored publications (Duan et al., 2017; Duan et al., 2014; Duan et al., 2012)
- 1 co-authored manuscript in prep.
 Project: Ni anomaly in the Irish Midlands Orefield (ongoing, 2018-)
Collaborators: Assist. Prof. Seán McClenaghan, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Output: 1 first-authored manuscript in prep.
 Project: The atmospheric O2 level before the Great Oxidation Event (GOE) and the evolution timeline (ongoing, 2017-)
Collaborators: Prof. Balz Kamber, Queensland Technology University, Australia; Prof. Darrel Long, Laurentian University, Canada
Output: 1 first-authored manuscript in prep.
 Project: Iheya North hydrothermal field, Okinawa Trough, Japan: actively forming ‘Kuroko-type’ VHMS mineralisation (ongoing, 2017-)
Collaborator: Dr Steven P. Hollis, Edinburg University, United Kingdom
Output: 1 co-authored manuscript in prep.
 Project: Ore-forming mechanism of gold deposits in the Liaodong district, NE China (ongoing, 2016-)
Collaborator: Dr Guotao Sun, Yunnan University; Yu Bing, Prof. Qingdong Zeng, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
- 5 co-authored publication (Sun et al., 2020, Yu et al., 2020; Zeng et al., 2019; Wang et al., 2016; Zeng et al., 2016)
- 2 co-authored submissions
 Project: New visions in the genesis of roll front uranium deposits (ongoing, 2016-)
Collaborators: Dr Christophe Bonnetti, East China University of Technology; Dr Thomas Riegler, Eramet A/S, France
- 1 co-authored publication (Bonnetti et al., 2020, GCA)
- 3 conference abstracts (SGA 19th, Goldschmidt 2019, 2018)
- 1 first-authored manuscript in prep, and 2 co-authored manuscript in prep.
 Project: Synergetic diagenetic evolution of deep-water gravity flow sandstones-mudstones (ongoing, 2015-)
Collaborator: Dr Tian Yang, Chengdu University of Technology, China
Output: 5 co-authored publications (Yang et al., 2019a, 2019b, 2019c, 2018a, 2018b)
 Project: Porphyry Mo mineralization in China
Collaborator: Prof. Zeng, Chinese Academy of Sciences; Dr Yan Sun, China Univ. of Geosciences; Dr Yongbing Wang, Yunnan Uni.
Output: 11 co-authored publications (Wang et al., 2019; Sun et al., 2018; Zeng et al., 2018; Zhou et al., 2018; Sun et al., 2017a, 2017b; Zeng et al., 2014; Sun et al., 2013; Zeng et al., 2012a, 2012b; Zeng et al., 2011)
 Project: Abundance of the full range of Energy Critical Elements in Cu and Zn ores characterised by LA-ICPMS (2015-2019, postdoc project, funded by the Science Foundation of Ireland)
Mentor: Prof. Balz Kamber, Irish Centre of Applied Geosciences/Trinity College Dublin
- 2 first-author publication (Zhou et al., 2017, 2020),
- 3 co-authored publications (Sun et al., 2020, Yu et al., 2020, Brodbeck et al., 2017)
- 1 commissioned report (Zamora and Zhou, 2019)
- 4 first-author conference abstracts, 4 co-authored conference abstracts (Goldschmidt 2017, 35th IGC, RFG etc.)
- 1 successful governmental funding application from the Geological Survey of Ireland (€ 149,830)
 Project: Fingerprint multi-hydrothermal events at the mineral scale for the supergiant Daheishan porphyry Mo deposit, NE China (PI, 2014-2018, postdoc project, funded by the National Fundamental Research Programme, China)
Mentor: Prof. Qingdong Zeng, Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- 1 first-author publications (Zhou et al., 2019), 1 first co-author manuscript in prep.
- 1 conference abstract (35th Nordic Winter meeting, Denmark)
- 2 national level successful research funding (China Postdoc Foundation and National Natural Science Foundation of China)
 Project: Geochemical basis of mineral precipitation and transformation, and its application in coating industry (2012-2015, Ph.D project, funded by the Danish Advanced Technology Foundation)
Supervisor: Emeritus Prof. Henrik Friis, Department of Geosciences, Aarhus University, Denmark
Collaborator: Siemens A/S, DONG Energy Oil & Gas, Dan-Color A/S, Danish Technological Institute, Danish Technical University, and Copenhagen University
- 4 first-author publications (Zhou et al., 2015a, 2015b, 2017, 2018)
- 2 conference abstracts (EGU 2013, Mid-European Clay Conference 2014)
- 1 industrial application (The environment hydrotalcite mineral coating has been applied on the >10 windmills)
 Project: Mineralization model of the Daheishan supergiant porphyry Mo deposit in Jilin province, Northeast China (2008-2014, Ph.D project, funded by the National Fundamental Research Programme, China)
Supervisors: Prof. Jianming Liu, Prof. Qingdong Zeng, Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
Collaborator: Jilin Daheishan Molybdenum Industry Co., Ltd.
- 5 first-author publications (Zhou et al., 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015c, 2018)
- 1 conference abstract (national conference of ore deposits 2010)
- 1 international Ph.D visiting scholarship (China Scholarship Council)
 Project: Fusion method development on the X-600 fluxer (2018). Collaborator: Spex/Katanax, Canada and Europe
 Project: Characterise the mineralogical deportment of precious and penalty elements for the Highland Valley Copper deposit (2017) Collaborator: Teck Resources, Canada
 Project: Crystal nucleation and its influence on the permeability of sandstones (2015)
Collaborator: DONG Energy, Denmark. Supervisor: Assoc. Prof. Henrik Friis, Aarhus University, Denmark
 Project: Steam Induced Surface Treatment (SIST) (2011-2015)
Collaborators: Siemens A/S, Dan-Color A/S, Danish Technology Institute, Danish Technical University, Denmark
 Project: Superseding Resources Prospecting in resource-crisis mines, China: regularity of Mo mineralization in Northeast China (2008-2014)Collaborators: Jilin Daheishan Molybdenum Industry Co., Ltd., and China Gold International Resources Corp. Ltd, China