Dr LINGLI ZHOU
School of Earth Sciences, University College Dublin
Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
2019-present: Research Fellow, School of Earth Sciences, University College Dublin, Ireland
2015-2019: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Geology Department, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
2014-2018: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
2015: Research Assistant, Department of Geosciences, Aarhus University, Denmark
2011: Research Assistant, Department of Geosciences, Aarhus University, Denmark
2012-2015: Ph.D2 in Geochemistry, Mineralogy, and Sedimentology
Department of Geosciences, Aarhus University, Denmark
Thesis: Geochemical basis of mineral precipitation and transformation, and its application in coating industry, pp. 1-157.
2008-2014: Ph.D1 and Master in Geochemistry, Petrology, and Ore Geology
Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
Thesis: Mineralization model of the Daheishan supergiant porphyry Mo deposit in Jilin province, Northeast China, pp. 1-208.
2004-2008: Bachelor (Hons) in Resources Prospecting Engineering
School of Resources and Environmental engineering, Hefei University of Technology, China
Thesis: Ore genesis of the Dongguashan skarn Cu deposit, Anhui Province, South China, pp. 1-86
- Guest Lecturer: Economic Geology, MSc, Aarhus University (April, 2021)
- Guest Lecturer: Energy Science, MSc, Trinity College Dublin (April, 2021)
- Guest Lecturer: Analysis in Geological, Earth and Environmental Research (GLU44922), 4th year undergraduate, Trinity College Dublin (Nov., 2019)
- Guest Lecturer: Introduction to Geochemistry (GLU3334), 3rd year undergraduate, Trinity College Dublin (Nov., 2019)
- Guest Lecturer : Introduction to Geochemistry (GL3334), 3rd year undergraduate, Trinity College Dublin (Nov., 2017)
- Lecturer and Coordinator: Mineralogy (GL3318), 3rd year undergraduate, Trinity College Dublin (Oct.-Nov., 2015)
- Teaching Assistant: Sediment description, 1st year M.Sc. course, Aarhus University (Aug.-Sept., 2014)
- Instructor: Field course for Sediment description. 1st year M.Sc. course, Aarhus University (May, 2014)
- Teaching Assistant: Sedimentary petrology, 1st year M.Sc. course, Aarhus University (Feb.-March, 2014)
- Lecturer: SEM (Scanning Electron Microscopy) lab class, Sedimentary Petrology, 1st year M.Sc. course, Aarhus University (2013)
- Teaching Assistant: Clastic Diagenesis, 1st year M.Sc. course, Aarhus University (April-June, 2013)
- Teaching Assistant: Sedimentary Petrology, 1st year M.Sc. course, Aarhus University (Feb.-April, 2013)
2019.06: iCRAG-DREGS Irish Midlands Zn-Pb mineralisation field trip (Four days)
2016.09: iCRAG Loughshinny field trip, Ireland (One day)
2014.05: Sediment description field trip, Vejle, Denmark (Two days, instructor)
2011.09: Porphyry Mo deposits in Central Jilin Province, NE China (One week, team leader)
2011.04-05: Baimushigou and Baituyingzi Cu-Mo deposits, Inner Mongolia, Northern China (Three weeks)
2010.07-08: Qingchengzi Pb-Zn-Au-Ag ore field in Liaoning Province, NE China (Three weeks).
2010.07: Newly-found Cu, Mo, Pb-Zn-Ag deposits in Inner Mongolia Province (One week).
2010.05-06: Porphyritic Xiaoxi’nancha Cu-Au and Duobaoshan Cu-Mo-Au deposits, NE China (Two weeks)
2009.07-08: Daheishan porphyry Mo deposit in Jilin Province, NE China (Four weeks)
2007.10: Geology of Tongling area, Eastern China (One week).
2006.06: Geology of Chaohu area, Anhui province, Eastern China (One week).
2005.08: Geology of Nanjing, Ma’anshan, Zhejiang areas, Eastern China (Two weeks).
Lab work skills
- Expert in Laser Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (LA-ICPMS) spot and mapping analysis. Instruments: Photon machines G2 193nm UV laser with a Helex two-volume cell coupled to a Thermo iCAP Q-ICPMS, and a RESOlution laser + Agilent 7900 ICPMS. Experience with a novel rapid aerosol transport device–ARIS.
- Expert in Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) combined with energy dispersive X-ray spectrometer (EDS) analysis. Instruments: Tescan Mira field emission gun (FEG) equipped with an Oxford X-Max 150 mm2 energy dispersive spectrometer.
- Skilled in Optical Microcopy and X-ray Diffraction (XRD) analyses. Instruments: Panalytical X’pert Pro with an incident-beam monochromator of germanium.
- Experience in: (1) Fluid inclusion composition analyses: micro thermometry analysis on a Linkam THMSG 600 heating-freezing system attached to a Leitz microscope; Raman Spectroscopy on Lam HR 800; (2) Isotope analyses: H-O isotopes on Finnigan MAT 252-, S, Pb isotopes on Finnigan MAT 262- thermal ionization mass spectrometers); Rb-Sr-Sm-Nd isotope analyses on a Finnigan Mat 262 thermal ionization mass spectrometers; (3) Geochronology analyses: Re-Os dating on a TJA X-series ICPMS; U-Pb dating and Lu-Hf isotopes analysis by a stream split system comprising a Agilent 7500a quadrupole (Q)-ICPMS and a Neptune multi-collector (MC)-ICPMS; Ar-Ar dating in YAG system by MM-1200B Mass Spectrometer; (4) Other in-situ geochemistry analyses: Electron Probe Micro-analyzer (EPMA) analysis on a JEOL JXA-8100; X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) om a Phillips PW 2400 x-Ray fluorescence spectrometer; Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM); (5) Proficient in the use of geological softwares, including Iolite, Igopro, Monocle, Chromium, Minpet, Geoplot, Aztec, QGIS.
Grants & bursaries
2020: University College Dublin seed funding, €1250, Principal Investigator
Project: Critical Metal Potential of the Irish-type Zn-Pb deposits
2020-2021: Royal Irish Academy, €2238, Principal Investigator
Project: Characterise Energy Critical Metals in the Irish type Zn-Pb ores
2019-2021: Geological Survey of Ireland, €150,000, Principal Investigator
Project: Exploring the critical metal potential in the Irish ore system
2018-2021: National Natural Science Foundation of China, €30,000, Principal Investigator
Project: Visualization of episodic hydrothermal activities at mineral scale by LA-ICPMS elemental mapping: an application to the Daheishan supergiant porphyry Mo deposit, NE China (No. 41702090)
2015-2018: China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, €7,000, Principal Investigator
Project: Applying modern micro-mineralogical analyses in decoding ore genesis (No. 2015M571116)
2015-2016: The International Postdoctoral Academic Exchange Fellowship Program, €4,000
2011-2012: Scholarship from the China Scholarship Council to visit Aarhus University, Denmark, €20,000
Prizes & awards
2020: Royal Irish Academy Charlemont Scholar
2019: Distinguished contribution to the Key project funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China “Large-scale porphyry-type mineralization in the Central Asian metallogenic domain” (grant no. 41390440)
2011: Outstanding Ph.D Student of the Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China.
2010: Outstanding presentation. The 10th national conference of ore deposits, Changchun, China.
2008: Outstanding graduate of Hefei University of Technology, Hefei, China
2021: “Critical metal signature of the Irish carbonate-hosted Zn-Pb deposits”, NUI SEG student chapter seminar series
2019: “LA-ICPMS elemental mapping and case studies in Ore Geology”, China University of Geosciences, China
2019: “LA-ICPMS elemental mapping: Into the past and future”, Aarhus University, Denmark
2019: “LA-ICPMS elemental mapping: revealing the critical world”, laser workshop, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
2018: “LA-ICPMS elemental mapping and its application in Ore Geology”, Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
2017: “The Secrets of Pyrite”, University College Dublin, Ireland
Learning skills and career development
2021: QQI Project Management training course (online), UCD
2020: University Teaching and Learning training certificate (online), UCD
2020: Project Management (online), UCD
2020: Data Management Plan workshop (online), UCD Library
2020: First aid training, UCD
2019: Adaptive leadership, UCD
2019: UCD’s Funding Database workshop, UCD
2019: Voice Coaching Masterclass, TCD
2019: Pitch to Win – Your Skills, TCD
2019: Royal Society-Science Foundation of Ireland grant proposal development, TCD
2019: LA-ICPMS Fundamentals, Instrumentations, and Applications.
2018: EIT RawMaterials Info Lunch, TCD
2018: Media training with Editor of The Conversation, TCD
2017: iCRAG Microbeam Workshop, TCD
2017: ERC (European Research Council) proposal development workshop, TCD
- Conference session organiser
- Goldschmidt 2021 Session 07g: Mineral-scale analysis and geochemistry in service of Economic Geology (>50 abstract submissions)
- Goldschmidt 2020 Session 08q: Processes of Hydrothermal Ore Formation for Base, Precious and Critical Metals (>40 abstract submissions)
- Journal editor: Geofluids (IF: 2.54). Handled with 6 published manuscripts (2018- present)
- Special Issue organiser: “Critical Metals in Hydrothermal Ores: Resources, Recovery, and Challenges” in the journal Minerals (10 publications, 2020)
- Journal reviewer: Precambrian Research, Chemical Geology, Lithos, Ore Geology Reviews, Mineralium Deposita, Minerals, International Geology Reviews, Marine and Petroleum Geology, etc (2011- present)
- Workshop organiser: “LA-ICPMS Fundamentals, Instrumentations, and Applications”, TCD (>30 attendees, 2019)
- Symposium organiser: Sharing Methodologies, TCD (2019)
- Seminar organiser
- Weekly Wednesday departmental seminars at the School of Earth Sciences, UCD (2020-2021, organised>30 seminars)
- Weekly Thursday lunchtime seminar at the Geology Department, TCD (2018, organised >20 seminars)
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Member of the Irish Centre for Research in Applied Geosciences (iCRAG)
- Member of the European Association of Geochemistry (EAG)
- Member of the Irish Geological Association (IGA)
- Member of the Irish Association for Women in Geosciences (IAWG)
2019: Invited speaker (title: Magic Minerals) for the 3rd year students at the Ma’anshan primary school, China
2019: Invited speaker for the “e-mining” course for the Castletroy College, Limerick, Ireland
2018: Volunteer for Girls into Geosciences (GIGs) event, Galway